Decorating while renting can be tricky since you have to work with what you’ve got. Most renters would rather live with stark white walls and minor inconveniences than risk their deposit or break their lease. While a lease is very much temporary, you shouldn’t just inhabit a home, you should make it just that: your home. You can personalize your rental with little effort, not a lot of money and without breaking any rules. Live in a space that speaks to you and makes you feel good, do that by adding personal touches to your bland rental property today! Read on for insider tips and tricks.
Try These 10 Decorating Hacks Today:
- Removable Wallpaper: No one likes to apply wallpaper- not even homeowners! Removable wallpaper is an easy way to spice up any space with minimal effort and minimal cash. It is also a great way to personalize a space without causing permanent damage. If the whole room is too much effort and cash, go for a single feature wall instead.
- Command Strips & Hooks: Instead of ruining walls by drilling holes, opt for non-damaging Command strips. You’ll be able to put up art and photographs and hang hooks. When your contract is up, simply pull the strip and voilà: a damage-free wall.
- Paint The Walls Neutral Colors: What many people don’t realize is that you can often paint in a rental, as long as the color is muted, that is. Most landlords are happy when a tenant decides to freshen up the walls- it improves the space and doesn’t cost them a dime!
- Upgrade The Lighting: Since you can’t do any major renovations, it’s important to express your style through furniture pieces. Most rental properties will come with the most basic fixtures so you’ll want to add some of your own lighting to the space.
- Change The Bulbs: The fixtures matter, but can you guess what’s even more important? The bulb! Light bulbs are one of the easiest home improvements to make and they can totally change a space. Create an atmosphere you want to live in with cool tone, warm tone, soft or daylight bulbs.
- Get New Curtains: Another super easy fix is curtains! Throw away those hideous vertical blinds the rental came with and install warm, soft curtains to any window in your home.
- Change The Shower Head: Once you realize how easy switching your shower head is, you’ll wish you had done it right after moving in. The improved water pressure and overall look make this fix so worth it. Make sure to hold onto the one that came with the place to swap out once you go.